INESC TEC Cookies Policy and Settings
You can also find some information about cookies relating to our social media channels.
INESC TEC and its cookies
INESC TEC monitors and evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of its website as well as the other websites which its servers host.
It uses an implementation of the open-source analytics platform, Matomo (formerly known as Piwik) which is fully controlled by INESC TEC. This platform enables the protection of end-user personal data thanks to features such as IP address de-identification. Furthermore, INESC TEC has implemented a tool to manage users’ consent to the collection of users’ browsing experience for anonymised statistics.
Cookies in this website are classified within the following categories:
Strictly necessary cookies are cookies used exclusively to carry out the transmission of a communication on an electronic communication network, or, insofar as this is strictly necessary, to the provider of an information society service that has been explicitly requested by the contracting party or user to provide said service.
Functionality cookies allow websites to remember the user’s site preferences and choices they make on the site including display resolution and language.
Analytics cookies are used directly by the website manager to collect aggregate information on users’ activities performed on the website (for instance, page views, origin by country) and are collected anonymously and only for statistical purposes.
Performance cookies are also used for gathering data on how visitors use a website, for instance, which pages of a website are visited most often, or if they get error messages on web pages. The data is collected anonymously and is only used to improve the functionality of a website.
On the other hand, one might distinguish first party cookies which are cookies set by the website you’re visiting (only that website can read them) from cookies placed by external service providers, to analyse how people are using their websites (third party cookies).
Finally, under another categorization, session cookies, which are deleted when you close your browser, differ from persistent cookies, which are saved on your computer and are not deleted automatically when you close your browser from.
INESC TEC is configured to use the domain inesctec.pt and to store first-party cookies.
The Matomo cookies used in this website allow us to track the following information that we use to prepare aggregated, anonymous statistics reports of visitors’ activity:
- IP address (2 bytes only; the most specific part of the address is anonymised)
- Location: country, region, city, approximate latitude and longitude (Geolocation)
- Date and time of the request (visit to the site)
- Title of the page being viewed (Page Title)
- URL of the page being viewed (Page URL)
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page (Referrer URL)
- Screen resolution of user’s device
- Time in local visitor’s time-zone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded
- Links to an outside domain that were clicked
- Main language of the browser being used (Accept-Language header)
- Browser version, browser plugins (PDF, Flash, Java, …) operating system version, device identifier (User-Agent header)
- Language of the visited page
- Site Search
INESC TEC retains full control over the data collected through first-party cookies by storing the data in servers fully owned and controlled by INESC TEC.
Besides some session cookies, a random ID persistent cookie is generated by Matomo, which allows INESC TEC to identify when a user returns to the site. This cookie has an expiration date of 13 months, after which it is automatically removed from the user’s device.
In addition to these settings and at any event you may enable the Do not Track function in your browser. Do Not Track is a function that allows visitors not to be tracked by websites. Do Not Track options are available in a number of browsers including:
You may find useful visiting the following link if you look for general information on how to enable Do not Track functions in browsers at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
All analytics data communication is encrypted via HTTPS protocol. The analytical reports generated by our system can only be accessed by authorised staff or by duly authorised external sub-contractors, who may be required to analyse, develop and/or regularly maintain certain sites.
Social media cookies
INESC TEC is active on the following social media platforms: Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram. Our presence in such communities strengthens our online presence and visibility.
- INESC TEC website does not set cookies when displaying links to our social media channels when you browse our website.
- You can watch INESC TEC videos, which we upload (embed) also to our YouTube page. You can also follow links from our website to Twitter and LinkedIn.
- In order to watch a video on our website, a message will alert you that you need to accept YouTube cookies to do so. YouTube has its own cookie and privacy policies over which we have no control. There is no installation of cookies from YouTube until you consent to YouTube cookies and then are redirected to the YouTube website.
You can also reach our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.